Sunday, May 8, 2011

Easter road trip



Four days off for Easter weekend = road trip through Sierra Leone. We rented a van and got to it. This blog is a photographic chronicle of the fun.

Our awesome road trip van, complete with flat tire and bonus flat spare tire.

Dulce is sad about flats. Fortunately, we counted on the kindness of strangers. You can see me in the back there about to get into some guy's SUV to go fix the tires.

Success. More kind strangers are always close by in Sierra Leone.

The third member of the road trip, Liz Cantu, extreme photographer.

We stopped at every bridge to see if I could jump from it.

Dulce convinced me to swim under the bridge to check the depth first. She was right, I would've broken my legs.

"Buy my goat! Good price for you!"

The African landscape burns. This is a farming technique called 'slash and burn'.

Not everything dies after it's been charred.

A peek inside van life. Dulce is probably about to do something terrible to me.

Hot outside, eh? Note the American air freshener. People in SL like us stateys.

Hungry? Just pull over and knock down a mango from a tree.

A genuine African car ferry. We balked at first...

...but then we went for it.

We just had to take a picture of this school. There's no 3 story building just out of the shot, that is the school.

Finally at one of our destinations. The van almost fell apart on those roads.

Beautiful amenities. Also included was an army of monkeys waking me up every few hours by throwing our dishes around.

Easter morning, 7am. The perfect time for a canoe trip to find some pygmy hippos.

And there they are. They weren't afraid to bellow at us when we got too close.

All smiles. Great time at the park.

The long road home...

4 comments:

  1. Wow! So neat to be able to see another part of the world like that. The school looks a lot like the school houses in Asia... With our idea of school it makes one wonder why they even bothered to put up a sign. :) But when I saw the ferry, all I could think of was the Buckleberry Ferry on the Brandywine River, "Jump Frodo!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool pics. Looks like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog. It looks like it was a good day. I liked reading your last informative blog too. Look to Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this photo blog. I looked/read through it twice immediately, and then I came back today to look again and comment. I think this ranks #1 on the list of Highest Frequency of Views of Cyle's Blogs by Clark.

    My favorite part was probably when the pygmy hippos ate the children at the school, fought off an army of monkeys, and then jumped off the bridge and broke their legs. But in spite of all that, you still took them on that crappy ferry back to the Mercy Ship for medical treatment. Well done!

    ReplyDelete